Il y a eu beaucoup, beaucoup, beaucoup d’infos lors de cette réunion. Nous avons dessiné le plan des plantations du jardin. le plan est une base de travail, il sera adapté sur place. Il manque encore plein de choses, mais c’est un bon départ.En bleu, ce qui existe, en rouge, ce qui doit être mis en oeuvre. Reste à prévoir : une zone sociale avec table, des plantes plus arbustives type groseilliers…etc. Nous avons décidé de ne plus marcher partout dans le jardin, de marquer les chemins par des piquets et de disposer du brf sur les chemins.
Deux rendez-vous hebdomadaires sont prévus (en fin d’après-midi), en plus du w-e pour se retrouver au jardin : le mardi et le jeudi. Il faut ranger et nettoyer le jardin après avoir travaillé dedans et faire attention à l’esthétique du jardin. Une zone “pommes de terre” sera plantée avec la technique de “couverture par du carton”. Il faut donc récupérer le plus de carton possible pour les disposer sur la parcelle (ex: faire le tour des rues, le jour avant le ramassage, passer chez Naturata…etc.)
Today, we finished the two raised beds (added manure, compost and put soil on top); also added manure to soil where greenhouse windows are; added a bit of manure amd compost to asparagus too.
The gardening season is entering into another gear. In the central garden space, we built two half-circular raised-bed structures in the garden’s centre using stones from the building site next to the garden. The structure creates a central focal point; breaks up the existing linear paths; and adds a new look to the garden. The stones are almost certainly from the lovely house that was demolished – so it’s nice to re-use them. In the future we need to built a 3rd identical structure to finish space; cover the soil inside the structures with mulching material.
We started two raised beds at the lower end of the main garden space. We lined out two paths, took out the soil and started filling the beds with organic material. We added two large tree trunks which we got from the boy scouts after asking them. We need to add manure, compost inside and sheet mulch on top of the beds.
Some metal/glass greenhouse windows have been unused for years. They are somewhat broken but after checking them, we decided some of them can be fixed/reconstructed and used as a “greenhouse” by laying them onto one of the walls on the banks. The idea is to grow plant seedlings on location. We need to finish re-constructing the windows and prepare soil with manure.
We started thinking about paths through the garden. The idea is to deconstruct the linear horizontal layout by adding serpentine/horizontal paths. The paths’ function is to facilitate movement through the garden without walking on and through planted parts; and transform the rigorous horizontal symmetry. We need to finalise the path design and actually “make” the paths by taking away a but of soil and marking out the paths with whatever organic materials we can find (branches, stones, etc…)
Today, that was the first meeting of the year in the garden. We had several people from the group and several visitors. A lot of plants are bursting from the soil from everywhere in the garden, so be very careful when you go around the garden. Some spaces were defined and cleaned.
On the edge of the larger terrace, the space where the asparagus are was cleaned, as well as the line along of it where the tulips are. On the terrace, below, by the tool shed, there are flowers, parsley and rhubarb growing. On the same level across the main path, there are colombines (ancolie) and hollyhocks (rose trémière).
The strawberries need to be replanted. Currently they are everywhere but they are giving a lot of fruits to make wonderful jam. The replacement could be done by steps, plus the new plants won’t give any fruit until next year, because it should be done in August. The rose trees need to be trimmed, Kyria told us her mother could come and do it properly (we could learn from her in the same time). To clean the top terrace on the right when you are going up (dead tree, black berry branches and over growing laurel.
Some visitors came with Kyria, one of them was very knowledgeable in permaculture and explained us how to implement a raised bed (hugelbeete). He explained that would be a good think to do because it allows the culture to have more light, stops and keeps the water running down from the top of the garden, does not require a lot of maintenance once it is implemented and bring a lot of nutrients to the ground. Plus for us, it will create paths between the crops.
How to do a raised bed (hugelbeete): with two gardener lines or cords, delimit a row of 1 meter wide, with 40 cm of path on each side, in the direction South to North, take off the soil on the surface of the row on a depth of 8-10 cm and pile up on the cleared surface any organic stuffs (branches, leaves, compost and any organic waste or remnant in a (butte) or little hill. Then top the hill with the soil set aside to which we can add compost and BRF (Bois rameal fragmenté).
We do not use boards. One thing has to be kept in mind, the process of the organic degradation inside of the row requires a lot of nitrogen. Plants fixing the nitrogen have to be planted on the rows.